Simple past tense II ( I did):
It is used to denote past incident happened at a certain time. For examples
- The girl came to me for playing chess.
- She did not get her salary this month.
- He repented on his mistake.
- He believed in his sister’s story.
Rule I (Simple past tense II ( I did):
As we studied in part I ( I did) that some time expressing words denotes simple past are yesterday, the other day,( last + time), ago, earlier etc.
- He met me there yesterday evening.
- I talked to him the other day.
- She scolded him in the morning.
- I wanted to go today.
- She tried to find his documents yesterday night.
- I lived there in 2017.
Rule II (Simple past tense II ( I did)):
(A.) past habitual actions are expressed by some time expressing adverbs which are given below:
Some ‘time expressing adverbs’ are used before actions:
|Always, sometimes, often, usually, normally, generally, occasionally, never, scarcely, rarely, barely, hardly|
And some are used at the end of the sentence.
|Every + time (month, week, day, year), daily, once a day/week/month/year|
- He always appreciated me.
- He never met me at the party.
- I often wanted to get it.
- I took fast food once a week.
- I rarely met him.
(B.) states that existed in past time:
- When I was a kid, I visited my granny home every month.
- When her brother was young, He loved spinach.
- When I was a bachelor, he worked hard in his business.
Rule III(Simple past tense II ( I did)): we use simple past after some structures:
It is time, it is high time, it is about time simple past (sub + action II + obj). examples:
- It is time he started playing football. You’ll compete with another football team.
- It is high time she went to bed. You’ll have to get up early and will go to school.
- It is time I bought a new Ducati bike.
- It is about time this road was finished.
Note: when we want to say that the right time has arrived to do something and we are still in time, therefore, we can use the below given:
- It’s time to leave the office.
- It’s time to play hockey.
- It’s time for dinner.
- It’s time to say good night.
- It’s time to help him.
Rule IV: this tense denotes progressive action (action + ing) both clauses are made in past simple but even it indicates continuity.
- While she played billiards, I wrote a book.
- While he went to bed, they watched a movie.
- While Rahul went to market, I played snooker.
- When he wrote an E-mail, I took Pizza.
- When my son completed homework for school, I finished my domestic chores.
Rule V: Past simple to express a point of time in the past
When two actions are being done in the sentence that time progressive action denotes past continuous and during it another statement will be delivered in the simple past tense. Examples:
- When I was cooking food, my son drew the painting.
- She was writing a book when her youngest brother came.
- While he was playing Rugby, he fell.
- While students were dancing, their parents came to see them.
- When I went home, my sister was reading a novel.
- When I was sleeping, my brother watched a harry porter movie.
Rule VI[Simple past tense II ( I did)]: The helping verb (did) for emphasis:
- I did want to say her everything that happened, But I didn’t say anything.
- He did play basketball but he wasn’t selected for school tea.
- I did study hard but not got good marks.
Rule VII: when reporting verb in past tense and reporting speech in the simple present tense, in indirect speech; simple present tense changes into simple past tense. Examples:
- She said, “I get up late in the morning”. (Direct)
- She said that she got up late in the morning. (Indirect)
proverb is given; its tense never changes. For examples:
- He said,” water boils at 100 ◦c. (Direct)
- He said that water boils at 100 ◦ c. Indirect (√)
- He said that water boiled at 100 ◦ c. (×)
Exercise – Simple past tense II ( I did)
Find the suitable option and fill in the blanks
- He …….. to go there.
- Forget b. forgot c. had forgotten
- It’s high time to ………. from here.
- Went b. go c. will go d. should go
- It’s time, you ………. admission in a digital marketing course.
- Take b. should take c. took d. will take
- She …… to him for knowing the exact information regarding the case yesterday.
- Go b. had gone c. went d. will go
- My brother never ………. The truth.
- Tell b. is telling c. told d. was telling
- Did she ………. to play hide and seek in her childhood?
- Used b. was used c. use d. using
- When I …….. in the fifth standard, I …….. chess a lot.
- Was-play b. were-played c. was-playing d. was-played
- When she was a kid, she ……… the zoo twice a year.
- Visit b. visited c. was visiting d. was visited
- My teacher taught us that the Sun ………. In the east.
- Rose b. rise c. was rising d. rises
10. She said that she …….. billiards.
a. plays b. played c. is playing d. play
11. she ……. Everything for him but he left her.
a. do b. did c. has done
12. I …… complete my project but I got a few marks in it.
a. did b. do c. have done
13. When I ……….. on phone, my son ……… the painting.
a. was talking – drew b. talk-drew c. talks-drew
14. While he ……….the mountain, he …….. down.
a. was climbing- fall b. was climbing-fell c. walking-fell
15. While students ………… dance, their parents
………… to see them
a. Was performing-came b. were performing-come c. were performing-comes d. were performing-came