Past continuous tense
When two actions are happening or continue, both sentences use in past continuous:
- I was cooking food; While she was sleeping.
- While they were playing badminton, their sisters were watching television.
- As he was talking on the phone, his mother was taking food.
- his father was talking with his friend while his son was driving a car.
When get, become, grow are used to indicate increasing and decreasing. The sentences use in past continuous tense:
- He was becoming richer and richer.
- She was becoming more and more beautiful.
- It was becoming more and more tough time.
- The poor are becoming poorer and poorer and the rich are becoming richer and richer.
- It was getting darker and darker.
We use past continuous tense to tell about past tense:
For Actions that continued before and after another incident:
- The students were doing their classwork when I entered the classroom.
- As I was surfing the internet, my friend came to me.
- As he was playing chess, his mother came into the room and scolded him.
- When I was singing a song. Neighbours were looking at me.
Past continuous tense is very common to use at the beginning of a story:
- The other day I was going to college when she came to me.
- Last Sunday as I was making a speech, a beautiful woman came to the assembly.
- Just as I was awaking; I heard a crying lady.
- The other day while I was listening to songs on the bus, a beggar came to me for begging.
Past continuous tense is used “to tell something that happened before and after a particular time,”:
- It was ten O’clock. I was watching Titanic movie.
- It was midnight. I was celebrating my birthday with friends.
- It was eight o’clock; it was pouring.
- At seven O’clock, I watched Titanic movie.
- In January he was working in Flipkart.
- To denote something was happening again and again.
- I was playing badminton every day thrice a day.
- They were meeting secretly after college.
To indicate that something continued for some time(past continuous tense):
- I was weeping.
- She was running.
- Everyone was shouting at him.
- Somebody was crying there.
- He was playing.
Some verbs which show change or growth:
- The children were growing up quickly.
- Her German was improving.
- My hair was growing white.
- The village was changing quickly, and cities were developing rapidly.
- New houses were growing up everywhere.
Write appropriate past forms of verbs(past continuous tense):
- While she ………….(cook), I …….. (read a book).
- While they ……….. billiards(play), she …… with friends. (gossip)
- It ……… darker and darker. (get)
- They ……..richer and richer. (become)
- She …….. an E-mail when I reached the office. (write)
- As he ………. chess, his mother came into the room and scolded him. (play)
- when I …….. in the ground, all my friends ……… at me. (run, look)
- the last day, as I ………. in wee hours, somebody knocked the door. (study)
- The other day, I ……..to school, she came to me. (go)
- It was 11 ‘ o’clock. I …….. Hollywood movie. (watch)